Beverley McGarvey, Chief Content Officer and EVP ViacomCBS
Claudio Amati, Creative Director
Ed Holmes, Head of Promotions
Karen Song, Head of Network Design
A decade of punishing competition, new technology and ownership upheaval left Network Ten unsure of itself in a fast-changing market. They had a rich multi-channel offering, but nothing to tie their brands together. It was time to unite the family and reignite Ten’s once famous larrikin personality.
We were faced with three key design challenges:
1. In a highly fragmented, multi-channel environment, where both viewers and advertisers have to interact with dozens of brands, how could we join up the Ten offering to boost impact?
2. Now under the steady and confident ownership of ViacomCBS, how might Ten recapture the cheeky and trailblazing spirit still loved by viewers and advertisers?
3. After years of chopping and changing, how could we rebuild internal confidence in the Ten brand, and give employees permission to think and act differently once again?
To create network cohesion, we implemented a 10-led naming device. Channels, shows and advertiser initiatives are all part of the system – 10Bold, 10NewsFirst, 10Play, 10Exchange…
To reignite Ten’s larrikin personality, we developed a bold new identity and tone of voice. At its heart, a reimagined Ten button that unites the family of channels, shows and platforms. Complemented by a mischievous way of speaking that’s fresh yet unmistakably local.
To rebuild a culture of confidence that challenges conventions and takes competitive risks, we worked on a CEO-led program built around their values: Be Brave, Stay Hungry and Back Each Other.
The rebrand, complemented by bold new programming, has significantly lifted network performance, evidenced by :
• growth in prime-time audiences, up 19% this year
• growth in catch up audiences, up 37% this year
• growth in prime-time commercial share every month since August 2019, up 4.1 points this year to 25% and up 6.6 points in under 50s to 29.8%
• growth in 10 Bold’s audience, up 18% this year; now #1 commercial multi-channel in total people and #1 in its 40+ target audience
• growth in 10 Peach’s audience, up 13% this year; now #1 commercial multi-channel in its 16-39 target audience
We needed to build a design system that would complement 10’s diverse programming styles – simultaneously supporting ‘gritty’ content on a channel like 10Bold, factual content on 10NewsFirst and totally escapist fare on the flagship channel. Colour, illustrative style and tone of voice were designed to flex to the emotional pitch of the content.
Content and Quality
The design was consciously developed to have a vibrant, high definition quality, fitting for a brand that lives on state-of-the-art screens. An intense yet clean colour palette was purposefully chosen.
The new brand language was as carefully planned and codified as the visual identity. A set of distinctive language traits were developed: Straight up, Cheeky and Positively Twisted, demonstrated through many practical examples and workshopped extensively with the internal creative team.
The tight 10-led naming protocol [10Bold, 10Exchange] provides a strong and positive influence on group information architecture. New initiatives, both internal and external, are now 10 brand-led (unless there’s a compelling counter-argument).
Now, every dollar that 10 invests in-market to promote their shows and channels is boldly 10 master branded, substantially enhancing the profile and value in the group’s lead brand.